Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Welcome Back Fabregas

Wenger turned to Fabregas following William Gallas' public attack on the character of his team-mates and insisted that he had always regarded the 21-year-old as a potential captain.

However, when asked if the decision would make it easier to keep the Spaniard at the club, Wenger said: "I don't know, frankly. When you make that decision you don't think about that. It's a very young side and you need a player who is nearly sure to play every game."

Fabregas has been regularly linked with both Real Madrid and his former club Barcelona, but has a contract at Arsenal that runs until 2014.

"I don't know [if the captaincy will increase his commitment] but I never put in doubt his commitment to the club, that was one of the reasons," said Wenger. "It's important you are the voice of the club to the outside and your commitment is not questioned."

Fabregas said that he was "proud" to be made Arsenal captain. "I know it's a big responsibility but together with my team-mates, I know we have the spirit and commitment to get back to winning ways and fulfil our potential," he said.

Although stripped of the captaincy, Gallas trained as normal on Monday and will start Tuesday night's Champions League match against Dynamo Kiev that could guarantee Arsenal's place in the knockout phase. "William is a player I rate and a man I rate as well," said Wenger. "He's a fantastic player and I just felt the pressure on him was big and not justified.

"I have a big respect for him. He was working as a captain. I feel the media was out for Gallas and it became increasingly difficult. At some stage, you do not want this high pressure to affect him or the team.

"He is committed to the club. He took to heart all the problems of the team. This can be a new start for him and he can be stronger as a player."

Wenger said he did not regret the choice of Gallas as captain but did not discuss if he should have made a change at the end of last season.

0 comments: