Friday, October 17, 2008

Arsenal's Cesc Fabregas criticises Arsene Wenger's reliance on youth

Cesc Fabregas has expressed his doubts on Arsene Wenger's youth policy, suggesting it has jeopardised Arsenal's chances of Premier League success.

Fabregas believes Arsenal's team is too young and lacks crucial experience.

Alexander Hleb, Mathieu Flamini and Gilberto Silva have all been sold on, while Czech Republic international Tomas Rosicky has a long-term knee injury.

That means Arsenal's current first-choice midfield is usually Fabregas, Denilson, Samir Nasri and Theo Walcott - the average age being just 20.

Fabregas is the older statesman of the quartet - having joined Arsenal from Barcelona when he was only 16 - and is starting to feel the burden of responsibility.

He said: "Our squad is a bit short on numbers and we are very young. It's hard to imagine a midfield where I am the oldest member.

"We find it very hard to win matches, as we don't possess enough experience.

"I scored 13 goals last season but then I had plenty of allies. Rosicky was around, Flamini covered every blade of grass and Hleb was like a brother to me out there.

"The team played with a lot of skilful touches, we were as solid as a brick wall and our opponents would not get a look in.

"Now none of those players and in the side and I feel like a rare being. We are more defensive-minded and sturdy as a team but we don't play so much skilful stuff."

Arsenal have already lost to Hull and Fulham this season and only a late Fabregas goal saved them from a third Premier League defeat of the campaign, against Sunderland in their last match.

The Spain international is recognised as the lynchpin of the Arsenal team, but there are fears he may return to Barca soon.

Fabregas has admitted to struggling at times with life in England, and said: "The hardest part of playing here was having to leave my family behind when I was so young.

"I had to endure all my problems by myself and my adolescene passed me by."

To add necessary experience to the Arsenal midfield, Wenger is targeting Barcelona's Yaya Toure, brother of Kolo, in the January transfer window.

Juventus are also reportedly interested, and Toure said: "Wenger and Kolo called in the summer to convince about this chance, but at that moment I was happy at Barcelona."

Toure's agent, Dimitri Selluk, said: "Yaya does not have a problem with Barcelona, but his only desire is to play regularly and therefore he wants to see if he is in their plans."

0 comments: